- Business Skills Development
- Ready to Start a Business?
- Business Planning Course
- Business Counseling Assistance
- Course Registration Procedure
- Business Counseling Registration Procedure
- New Student Orientation
The Business Skills Development Program is an entrepreneurial program designed to provide small business education to new and aspiring entrepreneurs. Since its inception in 2013, the Hispanic Institute’s Business Skills Development Program has been offering small business education through its entrepreneurial curriculum and most recently an individualized business counseling service.
The Business Skills Development Program seeks to become an alternate route for acquiring economic empowerment through gainful entrepreneurial preparation and training to economically disadvantaged individuals regardless of race, sex, religion, ethnicity or national origin.
The Hispanic Institute has received an operating support grant for this program from the Center for Hispanic Policy, Research and Development, a Division of Programs in the Department of State of NJ.
Desire and commitment are needed to get started. However, other qualities are essential for success. Answer the following questions for yourself to see if you are ready for business ownership.
• Do you have a viable business idea? • Do you have any experience in the industry? • Do you have the capital needed to get started? • Do you know your credit score? • Do you have good credit? • Do you have the time needed to get started?
If you answered “YES” to all of the questions you are ready to get started on the journey to business ownership. To take the next step, contact our office to participate in the program.
If you answered “NO” to any of these questions, you may need more preparation. Contact our staff to discuss how to get started on the path to business ownership.
This is an intensive 75-hour long entrepreneurship course that consists of fifteen Saturday classes offered during the year. Each class is a 5-hour session from 9:00 pm to 2:30 pm.
Listed below is the current duration of the Business Planning Course.
Course Duration: February 6th to May 21st, 2016
Prospective students receive educational entrepreneurial training in:
• Business Concept Development • Research Planning of a Business Idea • Marketing Plan Development • Operations (Organizational) Plan Development • Cash Flow Plan Development • Business Plan Development
If you have completed our Business Planning Course, what’s next?
The Hispanic Institute provides course graduates with individualized business counseling. Also, eligible clients who seek business counseling service may also enroll for this service without having taken the course. Enrollment procedures must apply. For more information, click on the “Business Counseling Registration Procedure” selection on the left.
The counseling service will be available during certain hours during the week and on Saturdays.
Depending on demand for this service, the Institute reserves the right to the amount of counseling time/sessions provided to each client.
Counseling services include help with:
• Determining if you are ready to start a business • Registering a new business • Reviewing a business plan • Preparing a budget • Preparing a loan application package • Determining Human Resources needs • Reviewing a marketing plan • Improving client relationships • Establishing internal policies • Reviewing marketing materials • Consulting on technical solutions for specific needs (website, software) • Obtaining minority or women owned certifications • Identifying record keeping needs for bookkeeping purposes • Analyzing market study or defining market segment • Developing a social media strategy
Registration for the Hispanic Institute Business Skills Development Program is FREE.
Both the Business Planning Course and our individualized business counseling service is open to any person who owns a business for five years or less or is looking to open a business.
Participants must be residents of New Jersey.
Those who wish to enroll for the Business Planning Course may register at our instructional site on the registration dates indicated below on this webpage. Please click on the Locations link for our instructional site address.
REGISTRATION DATES*: Saturday, January 23rd and 30th, 2016
* Those pursuing course registration, a New Student Orientation will be conducted during the registration dates. Please click on the New Student Orientation button for schedule times and for more information. It is strongly suggested to register on the registration dates indicated as class space is limited.
NOTE: The Business Planning Course requires an intermediate level of English language skills. This course is offered in English. All students will be given an English Proficiency Exam on the days of registration. Test takers will receive a forty-five minute completion time. Results and evaluation of the exam are given on the same day of registration.
Prior to attending our registration dates indicated on this webpage, all participants must to complete the Hispanic Institute’s course enrollment form.
This enrollment form will help the Institute evaluate potential candidates enrolling for the course of the Business Skills Development Program. The primary objective of the intake form is to assist the Hispanic Institute in making an efficient determination of each candidate’s eligibility for the Business Planning Course and to expedite your registration process.
Please click this link to download the Business Course Registration Form for this program. Print this document, fill it out, and please bring the completed form with you to the centre on the registration dates specified above.
Registration for the Hispanic Institute’s Business Counseling service is ongoing as of December 2016. Interested individuals who seek this service and wish to register must complete our online Business Counseling Enrollment Form. By clicking the Business Counseling link located at the bottom of this webpage, applicants will be directed to the Institute’s online enrollment form for the counseling service.
Participants of the Business Counseling service must be residents of New Jersey.
NOTE: Fill out all required fields on the online Business Counseling Enrollment Form to receive your FREE counseling session.
Before you complete the form, please read the “Business Counseling Service Term Agreement” located below.
BUSINESS COUNSELING SERVICE AGREEMENT
BY SUBMITTING THE HISPANIC INSTITUTE’S BUSINESS COUNSELING ENROLLMENT FORM, YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING COUNSELING TERMS:
You request business counseling service from the Hispanic Institute’s Business Skills Development Program to help your startup business or your current business with 5 years or less in operation.
You authorize the Hispanic Institute to furnish relevant information about you and your business to the Institute’s business counselor(s).
You further agree to:
• Communicate honestly and directly about all aspects of your business • Follow through on the work you and the business counselor agree is necessary to accomplish your goals • Be open-minded about alternatives the business counselor suggests • Provide a minimum of 24 hour notice if you are unable to keep any appointments with the business counselor • Assist the Hispanic Institute in the future by providing frank feedback about the quality of service you received and about the progress of your business by responding to a survey from time to time.
After the form submission, a consultant will be in contact with you to schedule your counseling session.
The New Student Orientation is designed to provide comprehensive information of the program’s services and registration procedures. It is strongly suggested to participate in one of the five New Student Orientation start times conducted during the registration dates.
Each orientation will begin promptly at the times listed below. Please arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start time.
Orientation Schedule/ Start Times: 9:00AM • 10:45AM • 12:30PM • 2:15PM • 4:00PM